November 20, 2013

Recipe Wednesday…Chicken Lentil Soup

Happy Hump Day! I have a really easy soup recipe that I threw together to share with you today. If you don't have the vegetables I used, you can pretty much use any vegetables you have in the fridge. It will come out great. This is a pretty large batch so if you have a small family, there will be plenty of leftovers. I am not really great at counting the servings, so I'm just going to warn you that this is a large pot of soup.


Chicken Lentil Soup



Ingredients:

1 gallon of water (16 cups)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
3 Tbsp. vegetable or chicken base (I use Better Than Bouillon), may need 2-3 Tbsp. more to adjust the seasoning
1 cup lentil
3 celery stalks, sliced 1/4" thick
4. dried basil
1 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
3 Tbsp. vegetable or chicken base (I use Better Than Bouillon), may need 2-3 Tbsp. more to adjust the seasoning
Pepper to taste (optional)

1. In a large pot or dutch oven, add the water, vegetable base, bay leaf, basil, and garlic powder, bring   
    to a soft boil. 
2. Cut up all the vegetables. I like to roughly cut 1/8" - 1/4" pieces.  Add to the pot. You do not need to 
    wait for the water to come to a boil before adding the vegetables. Bring the water to a boil, turn heat 
    down to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the lentil and shredded chicken, cook for 20-25 minutes on medium-medium high. Taste the 
    broth during the cooking process to see if you need to add more vegetable base. Depending on your 
    taste, another 2-3 Tbsp. should do. 
    Soup is ready when the lentil is cooked. Remove from heat and serve with some yummy rolls or 
    baguette.

I cannot put anything spicy in this soup, but hubby always likes to add sriracha to his bowl. He adds that hot sauce to pretty much every food he could. 
I've never made this soup in the crockpot because I didn't want the vegetables to be overcooked. If you tried it in the crockpot let me know. 

Since next week is Thanksgiving week, I've scheduled my post for next week's Recipe Wednesday. I will be spending it with my family since our kids will be out of school next week for Thanksgiving break. 




No comments: