March 7, 2016

Gardening

We've done some gardening on and off the last few years. We took a break because we didn't have much success the year before. Our soil wasn't the greatest and we had major gopher problems. This year I did some soul searching and realized that my heavy schedule was causing me to neglect other responsibilities. My family has gone to mostly organic or non-gmo foods due to health and dietary changes. It has been wonderful to really taste foods in their natural and unprocessed state.


 Of course this change is quite costly. I wanted to spend a portion of my time planting and cultivating an organic garden. From experience fruits and vegetables tastes so delicious coming straight from your garden. I started small by sowing the seeds from vegetables that we eat on a regular basis. The seeds were placed into an organic soil with compost mixture. These new growth are all kale plants.
It took a week to see the plants so it's looking good.
The plants above were volunteers from our old pepper plants. It's growing really well.


I bought 12 strawberry plants because it was just easier to buy the plants than start from seedlings. These are also doing very well. The only thing that I need to make sure is put something around the plants to keep the ants from invading them. I've always had a problem with ants whenever we planted strawberries or corn. I was told by a neighbor that there are edible oils that I can place around the perimeter of the plants to keep the ants out. I'll have to check it out at the nursery to make sure it's safe. Here's to hoping for a great harvest season.




No comments: